Links for beginning students of linguistics
Links by topic
Phonetics and Phonology
- Excellent collection of Online phonetics resources maintained by Jennifer Smith
- USC: Links to teaching videos: http://sail.usc.edu/span/teaching.php
- Phonetics and Phonology Links
- Phonetics Links
- More Phonetics Links
- Resources for studying human speech
- How to read a spectrogram
- X-ray databases: movie files!
- Stress System Database, an index of primary word stress in many languages that may be viewed by language or by stress system
- Optimality Theory: Rutgers Optimality Archive
- Phonological Atlas of North America
- Phonetic fonts
- Vowels and Consonants
- Prosody on the Web
- Minimalist Syntax home page: Includes an archive with pdf and postscript files of important and recent papers written within the Minimalist Framework
- The Combinatory Categorial Grammar Site
- HPSG homepages at Ohio State University and Stanford. A central point for resources of people working within the HPSG (Head-driven Phrase Structure Grammar) framework. Includes a theory overview, list of upcoming conferences, links to papers, and interviews.
- Optimality-theoretic syntax
- The Syntax of American Sign Language: American Sign Language Linguistic Research Project
- If you prefer reading about syntax in French: La syntaxe, Queen's University at Kingston
- On-line grammars
- Association for Linguistic Typology
- Kai von Fintel's list semantics Web page: includes home pages of individual researchers (many with on-line papers available) as well as "other places to find good stuff"
- semanticsarchive.net: site For exchanging papers of interest to natural language semanticists; also includes links to other semantics resources.
- Tense and aspect: Annotated Bibliography of Contemporary Research in Tense, Grammatical Aspect, Aktionsart, and Related Areas
Corpus Linguistics and Computational Linguistics
- Logic and theoretical computer science
- Computational linguistics
- Text corpora and corpus linguistics
- Set of French linguistics links
- The French Library and Cultural Center in Boston (includes an events calendar).
- See also http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4474766510: Facebook page for the French-speaking community in Boston
- Other collections of links:
French radio and poetry, music, news, interviews on-line:
- French Toast: a weekly bilingual radio program of French-language music, news, and interviews. Mondays, 6-8 AM on WMBR 88.1 FM (or listen live on the Web).
- La chanson francaise sur Internet: http://chanter.com
- Radio: Radio France, Radio Canada, Radio France Internationale , rfi musique; http://delicast.com/radio/France
Sign Language Links
- ERIC/CAL Resource Guides Online: American Sign Language
- About ASL: This site contains information about sign language linguistics, learning ASL, ASL educational programs, and ASL dictionaries.
- Beginner Guide to ASL
Other signed languages
- http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/%7Epondy/projects/signlang.shtml and https://nzsl.vuw.ac.nz - On-line dictionary of New Zealand Sign Language (includes information about American Sign Language, British Sign Language, and Australian Sign Language).
- Sign languages of the world
- About Japanese Sign Language
- About Sign Language (with information particularly about British Sign Language)
- Other collections of sign language links: Links from the U. of Hamburg
Sign language linguistics
- SLLING-L: on-line sign linguistics discussion
- Research on signed languages in France and in Canada
- Research on Sign Language of the Netherlands Radboud University Nijmegen
Sign Language Research at Boston University
National Center for Sign Language and Gesture Resources (in collaboration with Rutgers)